Campsie High Kirk, Lennoxtown

East Dunbartonshire

Campsie High Kirk, Lennoxtown was designed by architect David Hamilton and constructed in 1828. The Kirk was built in the gothic revival style and dominates the skyline of Lennoxtown. The building is now a Grade A listed building.

Religious services were held at the Kirk between 1829 and 1976 when it was closed and sold off during the amalgamation of the High Kirk and nearby Trinity Church. However, in 1984, the building fell victim to a catastrophic fire rendering it not fit for use. Despite the best efforts of the local community to safeguard the building from further deterioration the Kirk was ultimately placed on the Buildings at Risk register in 1990.

The Kirk, despite retaining it’s original appearance, now stands roofless and in a dilapidated state with mature vegetation growing throughout the ruins of the building.

On 30 May 2022 the property was brought to the attention of the KLTR by a member of the public with a view to initiating a restoration project. On confirming the Bona Vacantia status of the property it was deemed suitable to be progressed through the newly established pilot Ownerless Property Transfer Scheme.

A valuation was carried out on the property during November 2022 and, due to its ruinous state, was deemed to have a nil market value.

At this time the KLTR were approached by a newly formed community group who were interested in taking ownership of the property with a view to carrying out a remedial works and utilising the property as a central community events space.

During May 2024 the community group submitted an application to the KLTR under the OPTS process for consideration.